Finally the warm weather is upon us! With the changing of seasons though, comes allergies. While most welcome the summer season, allergy suffers are constantly battling the watery, itchy eyes, nasal congestion, and sneezing.
Hay fever or allergic rhinitis is the inflammation of the mucous membranes of the nose, resulting in a runny nose and congestion. These symptoms can be provoked by pollen, mold, pet dander, and dust. It involves an inappropriate immune response from histamine release.
Conventional treatment involves anti-histamines. However, prolonged usage of anti-histamines results in fatigue, dry mouth, and headaches. The biggest problem with drug therapy is that it does not address the cause of the allergy. There are many things you can do to naturally relieve allergy symptoms before they start. Since allergy symptoms are a result of inflammation; the first step should be to address the inflammation.
Start with diet. Research has shown a relationship between asthma, allergies and diet. In order to reduce allergy symptoms, eat a moderately low-fat, high-complex-carbohydrate diet. Certain foods are considered inflammatory, ie: milk, cheese, and saturated fats; these should be avoided as much as possible. A Mediterranean based diet has been shown to have the most health benefit amongst all chronic conditions. The foods contained in the Mediterranean diet include vegetables, fruits, fish and lean meats, nuts/seeds, and whole grains. Second, adding particular supplements can offer support for patients.
- Quercetin, a flavonoid that can protect the mast cells and block histamine release
- Curcumin, a spice that works on various inflammatory conditions and relieves pain
- Stinging Nettles, a herb that blocks release of histamine
- Vitamin C, expedites the elmination of histamine from the body
- Bromelain, enzyme found in pineapple helps to break up mucous
- Omega-3 fatty acids, an anti-inflammatory fat beneficial for all populations.
- Probiotics, good bacteria that support proper immune function
Don’t suffer through another year, let us work together to get some relief this allergy season. Feel free to contact me with any questions: email@example.com